Friday, September 12, 2008

Girls, Boys; and Maturity

"Maturity is a psychological term used to indicate that a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctual. Maturity also encompasses being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act in serious or non-serious ways." -Taken from Wikipedia

It is under common belief that girls mature faster than boys during the rebellious teenage phase (13-16). I personally think that it's true and it applies to MOST people. While boys ran around chasing skirts in lewd fashion and tossing piss bags at each other, most girls were able to ascert the importance of education and definition of grace. Of course, at that age, I didn't realize it. I always believed that the girls were equally immature and dumb but now I look back and see the obvious and yet subtle difference in behavior. Sure, we have the moronic emo wrist-slashing teenage girls in that age group but there's only a handful of them.

Perhaps the reason why boys were more immature than girls was because boys were allowed to do the things that promoted immaturity and stupidity. The phrase, "Boys are boys" provide support for this claim. Many teachers and parents use this phrase as their mentality which relates to an excuse to forgive teenage boys for their crimes, while girls receive harsher treatment due the mindset that girls are more obedient in nature.

While girls are more mature at the age of 13 to 16, I wonder if girls reach a stalemate at the age of 16 because a lot of 20 to 25 year old women behave like they are 16. Crying and getting very upset over trivial things are extremely common characteristics in these women. I remember an incident where a girl got very upset at her boyfriend because he didn't pull her into shelter just before it was about to rain. Fancy that? These women also like to gossip a lot about the smallest and most insignificant things, not to pass time but as a hobby. A guy could have a small piece of food in between his teeth and these women would call all their friends on the spot and talk about it like it's armageddon.

Let's look back at what it means to be mature, "To respond to a circumstance or environment in an appropriate manner." Well obviously crying and getting upset over TRIVIAL things would, to me at least, be considered to be an inappropriate response. Gossiping over the tiniest things and talking about it like it's the greatest discovery ever? I think that falls under the "not knowing when to act in serious ways".

While I am aware that I am targetting a very huge group of people and that I may receive very harsh criticism for this post (if anyone even reads the blog), I would also like to say that this is my personal opinion based on my own personal experience. It does not necessarily entail any truth but unless proven otherwise, my mind will stay unchanged. I am also fully aware that there are very mature and wise girls out there at this age, for I personally know one, so please do not be offended if you are a woman in her twenties.

No comments: