Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Truman Show (1998)

"The Truman Show" is, quite literally, a show about Truman. Truman Burbank (Jim Carrey) is a man living in a gigantic studio set. Of course, he doesn't know it. He doesn't know that his entire life is actually a TV show. He also doesn't know that everyone he meets and talks to are actually actors.

As Truman Burbank goes about his daily life unawaringly, billions of people in the real world watch him for inspiration. One day, Truman stumbles across a string of events, including coming across a backstage set, which immediately makes him suspicious. Determined to find out the truth about his life, he sets out on a journey to discover what reality is all about. On the other hand, the producers of the show are equally determined to keep him from the truth.

"The Truman Show" is quite a remarkable show. It shows how it would feel like if a God really existed and we were all mere creations of his. It also explores the concept of a so-called perfect world. A world devoid of crime but also true freedom, yet not so blatantly that no choices are available. The actors in this show were decent, except for Laura Linney. This movie really earned her a lot of respect from me. She was a actor in the TV show and she managed to subtlely display all the trivial details that she was acting in the show. This film also has a very mesmerizing score which, even though tailored to suit the mood of the movie, is very good on it's own.

I give this film a 8/10, there are some aspects where I think they could improve on, such as the cast. I personally dislike Jim Carrey but he was OK in this film. If I had to choose, this role would have definitely belonged to Matt Damon.

4 comments:

Miao 妙 said...

Are you changing this into a niche blog? It is quite a good concept - I know of people setting up blogs that are completely dedicated to music and politics, etc.

Coro said...

Not really, I just post what I want. Afterall, no one really reads it. The primary intention of this blog is still to improve my english. Movies are good for me to write on since they cover broad topics and I have seen a lot.

Some of the films I talked about are actually films I have seen many years ago, such as Equilibrium.

Miao 妙 said...

Yeah, blogging really does help improve one's English. Would prefer that you write more about movies, so that I would know which ones to check out. Heh heh.

Coro said...

Lol, I will try. I have been looking through my err... catalog to see which ones are of note.