Sunday, September 21, 2008

Taste on movies

I realize that if anyone reads this blog, they might question why I have given every movie such a high rating. This is actually because I haven't bother to write about movies that I disliked since they don't stay in my head. I might write one if I get the chance to see a bad movie soon, which nowadays, has a very high likelihood anyway.

I have attempted to compile a list of movies in their assorted genres that I think are worth viewing. It's easy to tell that my favorite genre of films is actually thrillers.

Thriller Films (Not for idiots)
Prestige (Highly recommended!)
Oldboy (Highly recommended foreign film)
Felon
Unbreakable
Se7en
Fight Club
Dark City
The Departed
Michael Clayton (Only if you enjoy political thrillers)
Gone Baby Gone
Saw (Be warned that it involves a lot of gore)
Saw 2 (I didn't like 3 and 4)
Trade
The Usual Suspects (Cult classic)
Collateral

Action Films (Some can be thought provoking)
300 (Highly recommended!)
Equilibrium
3:10 to Yuma (Highly recommended!)
Warlords
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight (Highly recommended!)
Bourne Identity
Bourne Supremacy
Bourne Ultimatum (Highly recommended!)
Ong Bak
Enemy at the Gates
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Rambo 4

Comedy
In Bruges (Highly recommended!)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Highly recommended!)
The Lonely Guy
The Jerk
The Man with Two Brains
Zoolander
Stranger than Fiction
Ocean Eleven
Get Smart

Drama
American Beauty (Highly recommended!)
Gattaca (Highly recommended!)
Cinderella Man
A Beautiful Mind
Little Miss Sunshine (Highly recommended!)
American Gangster
Crash
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
K-Pax
Rounders
Heat (Highly recommended!)

Fantasy
Lord of the Rings (Highly recommended!)

There are way too many movies that I enjoy, I can't think of all of them now but I will to update this list as best I can.

4 comments:

Miao 妙 said...

Some of my personal favourites: No Country for Old Men, Babel, Crash, The Black Book, Das Leben der Anderen, Goodbye Lenin!, Forrest Gump, Schindler's List, Closer, A Beautiful Mind, Saving Private Ryan, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Matrix, Lord of the Rings, American Beauty, etc. - I will kill you if you ever illegally download these for free; I'd actually give all of them 10/10. (Of course you can download them, just don't ever let me find out.) I like The Prestige a lot, never watched Oldboy, thought Michael Clayton was only OK (even though I like politics-related shows), I hate Saw 3 and 4 too, I enjoyed Cinderella Man as well.

Coro said...

I have seen most of what you listed. But I thought Babel, No Country for Old Men, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Matrix was only OK. Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite, I am going to add it now.

The Philistine! said...

Some of my personal favorites: V for Vendetta, Saw I and II, Platoon, the Rambo series, Predator I and II, The Dark Knight, Sin City, Malena, Shoot 'Em Up, Hitch, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Beowulf, the Back to the Future series (Ah, the nostalgia...), Yip Mun, Forrest Gump, Hitch, Irreversible, From Dusk Til Dawn I and II, Hostel, Transformers, Quills, Grindhouse, Crazy People, The Departed, Tom Yum Goong, Black Hawk Down, I Am Legend, Red Dragon.

My Favorite Actors and Actresses:
Will Smith, Michael J. Fox, Monica Belluci. Jessica Alba

Director: Quentin Tarantino, Ridley Scott

Coro said...

Hi Philistine,

You have an interesting taste in movies. Personally, I disliked Grindhouse. I felt it was pointless gore.

I think you would like Taken. It's a pretty new movie. Currently in theaters, you should see it. Did you like 300? Or you haven't seen it, in which case I would recommend you do. :)